Card: Place - Type: Monumental buildings

Entrance to the Jewish Cemetery in Via delle Vigne

Entrance to the Cemetery in Via delle Vigne. Photograph by Federica Pezzoli, 2015. © MuseoFerrara

Entrance created in 1911 to a design by Ferrarese architect of Jewish origin Ciro Contini during the last expansion and restoration of the cemetery in Via delle Vigne.


Lat: 44.843490 Long: 11.630226

Realization: 1911 - 1912

Categories

  • cemetery | door

Tags

  • Ferrara’s Jewish community | Jewish Cemetery | Via delle Vigne

In 1910, Ferrara’s Jewish community obtained new land and a ten-year loan to expand and restore the cemetery of Via delle Vigne near the city walls. Ciro Contini was responsible for the design and supervising the works; he worked with the municipality, and had already designed factories, shops and memorials for the Hirsch, Ancona and Pesaro families. The imposing white granite structure is made up of two pillars on which a maghen David (star of David) is carved, and an architrave bearing the inscription “Beit moed lekol hai”, which roughly translates to “meeting house for every living person”. “The new, majestic granite entrance seems to be influenced – in the attraction for clean, straight lines, far from the sinuous curves of Art Nouveau – by the influx of Egyptian monoliths, probably ascribable to the attentive study performed by Contini in 1911 during his ‘honeymoon’ in Egypt. But the rigorously ascensional lines of the entrance evoke above all the stylistic motifs of the Vienna Secession, with Olbrich and Wagner” (Scardino 1987, p. 129).

 

Compiling entity

  • Istituto di Storia Contemporanea di Ferrara

Author

  • Federica Pezzoli
  • Sharon Reichel